There’s nothing wrong with a little friendly competition, but when there’s too much pressure to win, it can have negative effects on a child. Sports are great for children because they keep them active, but it’s important to stay safe while playing. Always remember that all sports have injury risks.
To reduce the risk of injury always remember to:
- Allow your body to recover by taking time off.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics states that you should strengthen your muscles. Conditioning exercises can help make your muscles stronger.
- Take rest periods during both practice and games.
- Follow the rules and play safe.
- Make sure you wear the right gear and make sure it properly fits.
- Drink plenty of water.