“Thanks for ruining Christmas, hoverboards,” was the title from a recent Washington Post article, reporting the rash of injuries due to falls from one of this year’s hottest gifts.
As of the Monday after Christmas, there were 70 reports of emergency room visits due to hoverboards, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The injuries were primarily from falls and collisions.
Of course, the warning earlier in the holiday season was that some hoverboards are at risk of catching fire because of the lithium ion batteries that they contain.
But Dr. Eric Gordon, an orthopaedic surgeon and sports medicine specialist with Arkansas Specialty Orthopaedics, believes the hype surrounding injuries from falls is just that—hype. In fact, he purchased a hoverboard for his own son, who recently turned 13.
Check out Dr. Eric Gordon’s interview featured on Little Rock Family Magazine’s blog here.