Physical activity can benefit everyone’s health, no matter their age or body type. National Physical Fitness and Sports Month encourages everyone to learn about the benefits of living an active lifestyle.
Just a few of the benefits of physical activity at every stage of life:
- For children and adolescents, physical activity can improve muscular fitness, bone health and heart health.
- In adults, physical activity lowers the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some forms of cancer.
- Physical activity for older adults can reduce the risk of falls and improve cognitive judgment.
How can National Physical Fitness and Sports Month make a difference?
We can use this month to raise awareness about the benefits of physical activity as well as to encourage communities to create more opportunities for physical activity.
Here’s just a few ways you can get involved:
- Encourage families to make small changes, such as taking a walk together.
- Motivate teachers and administrators to make physical activity a part of every student’s day.
- Identify the leaders in your community who can talk to their peers about the importance of being active.
For more information on what you can do to spread the word, click here.