Learn how you can keep your child safe throughout the season.
- It’s important to take your child to get a physical before the season even starts. The doctor will be able to help assess them to see if they have any injury risks.
- Make sure your child wears all the required safety gear. It’s also essential to make sure that the gear fits properly and is secure, especially when tackling. Proper gear includes a mouth guard, helmet, thigh guards, proper cleats and pads for the hips, tailbone, shoulders and knees.
- Always stretch and warm up before playing.
- Teach your child that it’s not important to play through pain. If your child does get hurt, make sure they completely recover before they return to the field.
- Make sure first aid is always available. Talk to their coach if you have any concerns.
- Talk to your child about obeying the rules of football. It’s important to always stop at the whistle and not to deliberately trip or grab the facemask of anyone.
Lastly, have fun and be safe!
(Photo from Sports On Earth)